Location: San Diego Omni Hotel and virtually via Whova
Dates: March 3rd – 5th
Amnesty International USA is excited to be hosting our hybrid Annual General Meeting 2023 (AGM’23) in San Diego, California and virtually via WHOVA.
The AGM’23 is an opportunity for members and activists to come together and inspire one another, to learn about each other’s efforts and campaigns, to share stories and experiences, and to listen and participate in our sessions and panels. Throughout the weekend, you will meet and interact with individuals and groups who share your commitment to human rights.
We hope that when you leave AGM, you leave with new skills, inspiring stories, and a refreshed sense of hope and determination. Join us for the AGM in March!
For members looking to vote at this AGM please keep in mind there is a 50-day cut-off for AGM’23. Members must renew their membership to vote at AGM’23 by January 12, 2023. If you have any questions regarding your membership status, please email Member Services at [email protected]
Download the Save the Date for AGM’23
This year’s AGM’23 will offer sessions that cover an array of human rights issues such as Ending Racial Discrimination & Ensuring Equality and Equity, Reproductive rights, Refugee and Migrant Rights, Ending Gun Violence, and more. Our agenda includes inspirational plenaries, educational human rights workshops, and opportunities for members to influence the governance policies of AIUSA.
Please see the full Agenda here.
WHOVA- AGM’23 CONFERENCE PLATFORM
We are excited to be hosting the Annual General Meeting on our trusted platform Whova! You can access it via desktop and smartphone devices.
Once you register, you will receive an email from [email protected] detailing how to access the event page on Whova.
For more information on Whova, please click the Attendee Guide below.
Please note, all registered attendees will receive a Welcome Packet which contains detailed instructions on accessing Whova and navigating the platform.
During the conference, zoom links for all sessions will be found in Whova in the descriptions for sessions. These links will be populated the Friday morning of the conference.
In order to join the zoom link:
- Go to agenda
- Look for the session you wish to join
- Click “view session” in Whova
- Click the zoom link in the session description
For some helpful tech tips on zoom, please click the box below.
Community Agreements are an aspiration, or collective vision, for how we want to be in relationship with one another.
While participating via our trusted platform Whova we encourage you to:
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- Be mindful of the speaker during sessions by asking questions in the chat box and not having side conversations.
- Be present! Stay engaged, participate, and make room for others to participate.
- Assume good faith and be aware of your own impact.
- Do not spam message boards. This restricts access to posts by other attendees.
- Refrain from submitting unrelated comments to the session you are attending.
Violation of Community Agreements
Violation of these community agreements may result in the removal of an attendee from the meeting space. Continued violation will result in removal from the conference.
Unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to:
- Sustained disruption of sessions or other conference-related events.
- Posting harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, age, appearance, or other personal characteristics.
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech or actions by any participant at AGM’23, at all related events, and in one-on-one communications carried out in the context of AGM’23.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior. I.e. reposting disparaging comments or otherwise promoting any of the above-mentioned behaviors.
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior:
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns on-site, please contact our Care Ambassador Ebony Brickhouse, Senior Director of Organizing [email protected] immediately. If you are attending virtually please contact [email protected]. All complaints will be treated seriously and responded to promptly. The cultivation of community and trust among those who take part is critical to our movement. AGM’23 aims to be an inclusive, safe, and welcoming environment for all.
If you (or a member of your group) are 17 years of age or younger, AIUSA requires that a waiver form be completed by a legal guardian and that a chaperone accompany you for the entire duration of the conference. AIUSA does not assume responsibility for minors. Please read the waiver carefully. Please sign the waiver and email a copy to [email protected] no later than February 24th, 2023. If you have any questions or concerns, contact [email protected].
Disclaimer: Attendees who do not email or bring the signed waiver to AGM’23 will not be allowed to participate.
AIUSA is committed to promoting an environment that is professional and in which all employees, members, interns, volunteers and other individuals are treated with dignity and respect. AIUSA will not tolerate harassment of or among employees, members, interns, volunteers or others because of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status or any other protected characteristic.
Harassment includes verbal or physical conduct which may offend, denigrate or belittle any person because of or due to any of the characteristics described above. Such conduct includes pictures, jokes, comments, epithets, innuendoes, name-calling or any other behavior which creates an environment that is derogatory, intimidating, hostile or offensive to anyone. Conduct prohibited by this policy is unacceptable in the workplace and in any other AIUSA-related setting outside the workplace, such as during business trips, organizational meetings, and other AIUSA events.
To view the Harassment Policy please click the box below.
For more information on AGM’23, please contact [email protected]
Application is now closed.
This will be our first in-person AGM in four years, but we know that your work has not stopped at all during that period. So we are excited to bring back Action Alley to give you a chance to highlight the incredible advocacy happening at AIUSA, educate on critical issues, and most importantly– call to action.
Action Alley is a space where interactive and creative actions are set up for participant engagement. Action stations are set up throughout the conference and volunteers are assigned to help facilitate participant engagement.
Application is now closed.
Deadline: January 17, 2023
ACTION ALLEY REQUIREMENTS
- In-person attendance at AGM 2023
- Your table must include a meaningful action, such as attending an event, sending an Urgent Action Email, or signing an Amnesty petition. See HERE for more information about what qualifies.
- Actions taken must be tracked and submitted by the end of the conference.
For questions, please contact Events Assistant Zack Redmond at [email protected].
The National Resolutions Committee (NRC) has worked with staff and members to create virtually accessible working parties and voting sessions for the Annual General Meeting.
- Virtual Working Party 1
- Monday, February 27th, at 8:00 PM ET/5:00 PM PT
- Virtual Working Party 2
- Tuesday, February 28th, at 8:00 PM ET/5:00 PM PT
- Hybrid Working Party
- Friday, March 3rd, at 5:00 PM ET/2:00 PM PT
- Voting Plenary
- Sunday, March 5th, at 3:40 PM ET/12:40 PM PT
- Virtual Working Party 1
- Virtual Session Platform: https://aiusa.emeetings.live
- Video Walkthrough of Platform: https://youtu.be/dhIc_6VeIJo – The first 3 minutes or so of this demonstration show how to log in and enter the meeting, and demonstrate some basic features of the platform (the latter parts are mainly for those running the sessions).
VOTING ON RESOLUTIONS
Please note that there is a 50-day cut-off for AGM’23. Members must renew their membership to vote at AGM’23 by January 12, 2023. If you have any questions regarding your membership status, please email Member Services at [email protected].
If you have any questions regarding Working Parties or Voting Plenary at the AGM’23, contact Aashka Merchant at [email protected].
Please note, while there is no guarantee that you will be able to vote if you miss this deadline, our team will do its best to accommodate late registrations. We will need at least 24 hours notice to provide voting credentials.
Renew your membership or become a member now!
At the Annual General Meeting, resolutions may be voted on by Individual Voting Members and by one designated delegate from each registered AIUSA Student or Local Group.
Please discuss the resolutions with your group before the conference.
Inclusion and Accessibility
IDEA AT AMNESTY
Amnesty International is committed to the principles of IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility) because we all belong in the movement for human rights. As we host hybrid conferences, we are still implementing IDEA practices and measures in order to create an inclusive space for everyone. Please review our Code of Conduct.
We are continuously working towards our conferences being IDEA-centered events and are committed to our growth in this area. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions on the topic of IDEA at the AGM’23. We can be reached at [email protected].
For more information about IDEA at Amnesty International, please click the box below.
All virtual sessions will utilize a closed captioning feature.
All registered attendees will receive a Welcome Packet which contains detailed instructions on accessing Whova and navigating the platform.
For some helpful Zoom tips, please click the box below.
The work we are doing to create the world we need takes a toll on our minds, bodies, and spirits.
We know zoom fatigue is real. We recognize that people have different energy levels. We encourage attendees to create boundaries, manage their expectations, take long breaks, unplug, and re-energize to connect. Check out our tips below on how to take care of yourself and stay energized throughout our conference weekend.
- Find your comfort and embrace it
- Stay hydrated
- Take deep breaths
- Stretch when possible
- Rest your eyes
- Be kind to your eyes. Review your display and brightness settings.
- If viewing for long periods, place the monitor directly in front of you, at arm’s length away.
- Catch some sun and fresh air, inhale the trees and air.
- Dance to one of your favorite playlists.
- Relax with an audiobook or podcast.
- Nourish yourself with your favorite foods. Reach for high-protein snacks.
- Maintain off-line social connections with friends and kin.
- Unplug from social media when you need it.
- Prioritize sleep.
- Step away for quiet time if you need it.
- Don’t feel responsible for participating in every single session.
In Person Tips
- Take frequent breaks.
- Stay hydrated.
- Relax and recharge in our Zen Lounge.
Self-Care Tips: Avoiding Activism Fatigue and Burn-out
- Amnesty International USA Explains Self Care as a Form of Activism in Teen Vogue!
- Staying Resilient While Trying to Save the World- a Well Being Book for Youth Activists by AIUSA
Onsite Registration will be available at the conference starting March 2nd Friday at Noon See you there!
Virtual AGM’23 Registration Deadline: Monday, February 20th, 2023
San Diego in-person AGM’23 Registration Deadline: Monday, January 30th, 2023
San Diego In-Person AGM’23 Registration Deadline: 1/30/2023
- $60.00 – Student/Educator/Senior/Fixed-Income Ticket
- $145.00 – General Admission Ticket
Virtual AGM’23 Registration Deadline: 2/20/2023
- $10.00 – Student/Educator/Senior/Fixed-Income Ticket
- $15.00 – General Admission Ticket
Deadline: January 16
For the AGM’23, AIUSA will offer a subsidy to cover lodging and/or a travel reimbursement up to a fixed amount for the full 3 days of the conference. The subsidies are intended for active AI members and activists that would otherwise be unable to attend the conference due to financial constraints.
Subsidies are available for in-person attendance only (not virtual).
SUBSIDIES FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is covered by this subsidy? (One of the following, not both)
– Lodging at the AGM’23 for one night per person; if you have two people in a room and both apply for a housing subsidy, both nights (Friday and Saturday) will be covered
– Travel reimbursement up to $250 per person
How do I apply for a subsidy?
Complete one application form by January 16 deadline. Each person must apply for their own subsidy.
What happens after I apply?
After the application deadline has passed, we will make final decisions and notify applicants that have been tentatively awarded a subsidy. At this point you will have until Monday, January 30th, 2023 to accept the subsidy in writing (email) and register for the conference. You must provide proof of registration and submit your minor waiver forms if you intend to accept the subsidy; otherwise it will be awarded to someone on the waitlist.
Who is eligible?
Those actively involved with AIUSA are encouraged to apply.
What selection criteria will be used to award subsidies?
We will be looking for complete and well thought out applications demonstrating commitment to meet all requirements. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Although priority will be given to active AIUSA members with a demonstrated need who are fundraising to attend the AGM’23, we are committed to considering all eligible applicants, student or local activist, who meet the criteria above while also ensuring national representation.
For questions please contact Sara Goldschmidt, Youth and Student Program Manager, [email protected].
Apply to Volunteer (NOW CLOSED)
Deadline to Apply: Friday, Jan. 27 at 5 PM PST.
Take your experience at the Annual General Meeting to the next level. Volunteer with other activists from around the country. Those who volunteer for a three-hour shift will be awarded a full-conference pass free of charge.
Three-hour time slots for the following positions are available:
- Registration/Welcome: The registration team will be tasked with assisting the registration process. The registration team will check attendees into the conference. The welcome team will help usher the attendees through conference spaces.
- Plenary Ambassador: Plenary Ambassadors will usher attendees to the plenary space. They will also ensure that everything runs smoothly and on time. Other responsibilities can include speaker and guest support.
- National Resolution Shadows: Support our National Resolutions Committee with the governance pieces of the AGM, including staffing the resolutions session, taking minutes, and passing the microphone.
- Workshop Session: Support speakers for the AGM program sessions! Help them keep time and ensure attendees complete our session polls.
- IT Help Desk: Assist attendees with Whova access.
- Action Alley: Help facilitate attendee engagement in Action Alley, where interactive and creative actions are set up!
If you’re interested in volunteering with us, please submit your application by Friday, Jan. 27 at 5 PM PST.
For questions, please contact: Jessward Docena, CA and FL Organizer at AIUSA, [email protected]
Request for Proposals
Request for proposals are now closed. We are cooking up the agenda now!
TRAVEL AND LODGING
We are excited to be hosting our AGM’23 in San Diego, California. Please see the following links for conference logistics and attractions.
Dates: Friday, March 3rd, 2023- Sunday, March 5th, 2023
Hotel Info: Omni San Diego Downtown
CONFERENCE LODGING INFORMATION
San Diego Omni is our host hotel in San Diego, California. Our room rate is $279.00 (subject to applicable state and local taxes) for single and double occupancy. Triple occupancy is $304.00 and quadruple occupancy is $329.00. A block of rooms has been reserved for March 3rd, 2023– March 5th, 2023. The special room rate will be available until January 28th, 2023 at 5:00 PM PT, or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
1. By Phone: 1-800-THE-OMNI (1-800-843-6664) and mention AIUSA National Conference
- Head east on N Harbor Dr toward McCain Rd (3.9 mi)
- Turn left onto Fifth Ave (220 ft)
- Turn right onto L St (358 ft)
- Proceed 1 block on L Street.
- The hotel is located on the right on the corner of 6th Avenue and L Street.
Explore some nearby things to do while your in San Diego.
Please view full transportation options and routes on the San Diego MTS Website.
- Overnight valet parking:
- Monday – Sunday: $55 per car/per night with in/out privileges
- Hourly valet parking: $10 per car, per hour
- Public Self Parking: a variety of parking garages are within 1 block of the hotel (prices vary)