Privacy Notice for the Amnesty International USA Website
This is the website for Amnesty International USA (“Site”). Amnesty International USA has created this privacy notice to demonstrate our firm commitment to internet privacy. The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for this Site. The type and amount of information received depends on how you use the Site.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are instances where Amnesty International USA requests personal information to provide you with services or correspondence. This information is collected and stored in a manner appropriate to the nature of the data by Amnesty International USA and is used to fulfill your request.
We may collect the following categories of information:
- Contact information, such as your name, mailing address, phone number, or email address directly from you when filling out a form or other free-text field on our Site.
- Payment information, such as credit or debit card numbers directly from you when you pay for services.
- Demographic information, such as your race or ethnic origin, directly from you when filling out a survey, web form, or other free-text field on our Site.
We do not knowingly collect or process the data of minors.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may use your information for purposes including:
- Improving or providing services. We may use your personal information, such as your contact information, for the purposes of providing you with services or correspondence, such as petitions and actions, or to contact you when necessary.
- Billing. We may use your personal information, such as your payment information, for the purposes of fulfilling payment of member dues or billing for products and services.
- Analytics. We may use your personal information, such as your browser information, for analytics purposes, such as tracking the usage of some of our activist functions and features or generating statistics and measuring Site activity to improve the usefulness of the Site to our visitors.
- As required by law. We may use your personal information to comply with laws, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations.
- To protect our and others’ rights. We may use your personal information to protect the integrity of the services, your safety or the safety of others, to detect, prevent, or respond to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our terms of service, violations of law, or other misuse of the services.
HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
Amnesty International USA may disclose your personal information, such as your contact information, with partners when you join as dues paying members and become part of Amnesty’s regular membership list. Further, we may occasionally exchange our members’ contact information with other organizations in exchange for access to their member or supporter lists, so that we can invite others to join Amnesty International USA. These disclosures are considered “sales” under certain state privacy laws. You can opt out of these disclosures by following the instructions in the “Your Privacy Rights” section below. Amnesty International USA discloses your personal information with our service providers that perform data storage, communications, and other business operations for us.
The Site will not post personal contact information for volunteers, including their email address, street address and phone numbers, without the individual’s acknowledgement. Staff and volunteers who submit material for the Site are responsible for securing permission from any volunteer whose personal contact information is to be posted on the Site and for communicating that consent to Site staff. Without such consent, Site staff will withhold posting personal contact information for that individual.
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
Depending on your jurisdiction, you may be entitled to exercise certain privacy rights regarding the collection and disclosure of your personal information, including:
- Access. You may have the right to confirm whether we are processing your personal information and request access to that personal information in a portable, and to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format.
- Correction. You may have the right to request that we correct inaccuracies in your personal information.
- Deletion. You may have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have about you.
- Opt out. You may have the right to opt out of the processing of your personal information for certain purposes, including sales and targeted advertising. To opt out, please click here.
Additionally, all persons who join or donate to Amnesty International USA, whether via regular postal mail, over the phone or through the Site, will receive periodic updates from Amnesty International USA by mail, phone, or e-mail. You may request limited mail updates or request no phone calls using the instructions below.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights. You may exercise your rights, including appealing our decisions regarding your rights, by contacting Member Services. You may also designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights on your behalf.
You can reach Member Services by sending an e-mail to [email protected], by phone at 1-212-633-4254 (M-F, 9a-5pm EST) or by writing to:
Amnesty International USA
311 W 43rd Street, 7th Floor 16th Floor
New York, NY 10001
IMPORTANT: Please provide your full name and address, and your member ID# if possible, and the best way to reach you, when contacting Member Services, so that we can fulfill your requests promptly.
This site contains hypertext links to other sites. Amnesty International USA is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
You can visit most portions of Amnesty International USA’s Site without telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information. The only information we typically collect from a Site visit is the name of your Internet service provider, the browser and type of machine you are using, the website that referred you to us, the pages you request and the date and time of those requests.
This information is used to generate statistics and measure site activity to improve the usefulness of the site to our visitors. Amnesty only collects personally identifiable information if the visitor directly inputs it into a form or other free-text field on the website.
We collect the IP addresses of visitors, time of access, browser type, and web pages visited. We collect this information individually and in the aggregate. For example, we track which pages are most popular among visitors as a whole. This information is used for internal review and may be shared with third parties. We do not track information on which pages an individual visitor might look at during a visit to our site. We do not collect any other information without the visitor’s knowledge and permission.
- to compile statistical data on the use of our Site and its functioning, so that we can monitor and improve it; Analytical performance cookies are used to monitor the performance of our websites, for example, to determine the number of page views and the number of unique users a website has. Web analytics services may be designed and operated by third parties. The information provided by these cookies allows us to analyze patterns of user behavior and we use that information to enhance user experience or identify areas of the website which may require maintenance.
- to facilitate users’ ability to navigate through our Site, including to allow registered users to access secure parts of our Site;
- to personalize our communications to you based on personal information we collect when you interact with the website (such as name, email address, mailing address, and donation amounts) regardless of whether the form is submitted.
- to allow us to share our web pages via social media platforms. These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on our sites or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking site such as Facebook, X (formerly known as Twitter), or Google+. The social network will record that you have done this. This information may be used for targeted advertising purposes.
This Site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. However, your confidential use of this Site cannot be guaranteed by Amnesty International USA. Amnesty International USA shall not be responsible for any harm that you or any person may suffer as a result of a breach of confidentiality in respect to your use of this Site or any information you transmitted to this Site.
Last Updated: 8/15/2023