Pieter, Alexander and Benjamin, pro-independence political activists from Molucca, have been arbitrarily arrested and charged with treason for their role in keeping a Republic of South Maluku (RMS) flag “Benang Raja” in a private house. Charged with treason “makar”, they face up to 20 years of imprisonment. The Indonesian authorities have used the criminal code provisions, mainly Articles 106 and 110 KUHP, to prosecute tens of peaceful pro-independence political activists in Maluku and Papua simply for peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly.
- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on September 19, 2021.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 82.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
- Immediately release Pieter Likumahua, Alexander Workala and Benjamin Naene and drop the charges against them;
- Ensure that they have regular, unrestricted access to their family and a lawyer of their choice in line with international standards of fair trial, and
- Ensure that they are protected from torture and other ill-treatment and have access to adequate medical care on request or as necessary.