Valentina Chupik, a recognized refugee and migrant rights defender, has been held in the transit lounge at Sheremetevo airport in Moscow since September 25, 2021. She has been told that she has been stripped of her refugee status, banned from Russia for 30 years, and is threatened with imminent forcible return to Uzbekistan. She must be immediately released and allowed to remain in Russia so that she can continue her work.TAKE ACTION:
- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on November 25, 2021.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 102.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
- To ensure that Russia upholds its obligations under the international human rights law, including the Refugee Convention, and not forcibly return Valentina Chupik to a country where she would be at risk of human rights violations;
- To seek the immediate and unconditional release of Valentina Chupik and to ensure that she is able to remain in Russia and continue her human rights work.