Prominent human rights defender and advocate Nguyen Thuy Hanh, was arrested on April 7, 2021 and charged under Article 117 of the Criminal Code for “opposing the State of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam”, carrying a potential prison sentence of up to 20 years. Nguyen Thuy Hanh, through the organization she founded, the 50K Fund, has provided essential humanitarian support to countless unjustly detained prisoners and their families. The arrest of Nguyen Thuy Hanh is likely to have a serious negative impact on the welfare of many unjustly detained prisoners in Viet Nam. The Vietnamese authorities must immediately and unconditionally release her as she is a prisoner of conscience, detained solely for peacefully exercising her human rights and carrying out vital humanitarian work.TAKE ACTION:
- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on August 17, 2021.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 44.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
- Nguyen Thuy Hanh is released immediately and unconditionally;
- Pending her release, Nguyen Thuy Hanh is granted prompt, regular and unrestricted access to family visits and access to a lawyer;
- Nguyen Thuy Hanh is treated in full accordance with the UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners (the Nelson Mandela Rules), and is protected from torture and other ill-treatment, including poor conditions of detention and prolonged pre-trial detention.