Venezuela: Protect Humberto Prado Sifontes (UA 104/16)
Venezuelan human rights defender Humberto Prado Sifontes has been threatened for his work examining prisons.
Venezuelan human rights defender Humberto Prado Sifontes has been threatened for his work examining prisons. Humberto, his family and his colleagues from the NGO Venezuelan Prison Observatory (Observatorio Venezolano de Prisiones) are at risk.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Calling on the authorities to order an independent, thorough and impartial investigation into the interception of Humberto Prado Sifontes’ communications and those of other members of the Venezuelan Prison Observatory, as it is a violation to his right to privacy, that they publish their results and bring those responsible to justice;
- Urging them to implement effective measures to protect Humberto Prado Sifontes and his family, as well as all other members of the Venezuelan Prison Observatory, in accordance with their wishes, and to end the harassment and threats against them;
- Urging them to publicly recognize the legitimacy of the Venezuelan Prison Observatory’s human rights work, and reminding them of their duty to guarantee that the organization can work without fear of retaliation, in accordance with the 1998 UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!