Uzbekistan: Ensure Fair Trial for Aramais Avakian (UA 40/16)February 19, 2016
Fish farmer Aramais Avakian was sentenced on 19 February to seven years in prison for “plotting anti-constitutional activities” following an unfair trial.
Fish farmer Aramais Avakian was sentenced on 19 February to seven years in prison for “plotting anti-constitutional activities” following an unfair trial. He had been detained since 4 September 2015 and was subjected to torture.
1) Please write immediately in Uzbek, Russian, English or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to carry out a prompt, impartial and effective investigation into the allegations of torture and other ill-treatment of Aramais Avakian, and bring those responsible to justice;
- Calling on them to ensure that Aramais Avakian has full access to all legal safeguards in detention, including unimpeded access to a lawyer of his choice, and any medical treatment he might require;
- Urging the Uzbekistani authorities to ensure that Aramais Avakian’s appeal hearing is held in full conformity with international fair trial standards.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with "UA 40/16" in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.