- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on March 24, 2022.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 99.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
The Honorable Alejandro Mayorkas
Secretary Department of Homeland Security
301 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20528, USA
Email: [email protected]
Dear Secretary Mayorkas,
I’m writing with deep disappointment about the enduring mistreatment of Haitians seeking asylum at the US-Mexico border at the hands of US immigration authorities. The administration’s aggressive expulsions under Title 42 and the appalling decision to reinstate and expand the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) are especially concerning as these policies violate the human right to seek asylum and send hundreds of thousands of Haitians and other asylum-seekers to face danger and even death in their countries of origin and/or transit. These reckless actions not only abandon the administration’s obligations under US and international law, but also its promises to halt these cruel, abusive, and unlawful programs.
If the US truly aims to convince the world that its commitment to human rights and racial justice are sincere, then it cannot deny access to asylum protections and deport thousands of people who fear for their safety back to countries experiencing extreme instability and massive human rights violations.
I call on the Biden administration to:
- Immediately halt deportations to Haiti
- Immediately end MPP and Title 42 expulsions
- End the use of arbitrary, mass immigration detention
Images of desperation from the airport tarmacs in Port-au-Prince and ill-treatment in refugee camps in Del Rio and elsewhere along the southern border have been a damning indictment of the US government’s approach to humanitarian action and human rights for all, without discrimination. This is your time to reverse course and show truly principled leadership. People around the world are watching you.