- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on June 2, 2022.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 107.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
General Listyo Sigit Prabowo
Chief of Indonesian National Police
Indonesian National Police Headquarter
Jl. Trunojoyo No.3, Jakarta Selatan
DKI Jakarta 12110
Phone: +62 21 7218396
Email: [email protected]
Ambassador Freddy Hari Susanto
Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
2020 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202 775 5200
Dear Mr. Prabowo,
I am writing to express my deep concern about the ongoing police investigation against human rights defenders Haris Azhar and Fatia Maulidiyanti. The two were reported to the police by the Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment Affairs, Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, on allegations of defamation under the Electronic Information and Transactions (ITE) Law. Furthermore, Luhut sued Haris and Fatia 100 billion rupiahs each (approximately USD 7 million).
The allegations relate to a video on Haris’ YouTube channel, where he and Fatia discuss a report about the alleged connections between military operations and mining activities in Intan Jaya Regency, in Papua. It is very distressing to learn that Haris and Fatia face criminal charges for simply exercising their right to freedom of expression, which is guaranteed under both international and national law.
Therefore, I urge you to:
- Drop the charges and close the investigation against Haris and Fatia
- Amend the ITE to decriminalize defamation and ensure that defamation is only treated as a civil matter
- Ensure that all human rights defenders can carry out their peaceful activities without harassment, intimidation, arbitrary detention, or fear of reprisals, in line with the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders