Six youth activists from Mother Nature Cambodia, a well-known environmental group that campaigns against environmental destruction and related human rights abuses, continue to face ongoing persecution. Three of the activists, already sentenced to 18-20 months imprisonment for trumped up charges of incitement, face an additional 10 years behind bars for “plotting” to endanger the Kingdom of Cambodia. Imprisoned solely for peacefully protecting the environment, advocating for climate justice, and promoting the rights of local communities, they should be released immediately and unconditionally.
- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on October 11, 2021.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 73.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
- Ensure the pardon and immediate release of Long Kunthea, Phuon Keoraksmey, Thun Ratha and quash their convictions.
- Drop all pending charges against Long Kunthea, Phuon Keoraksmey, Thun Ratha, Sun Ratha, Ly Chandaravuth and Yim Leanghy and ensure their immediate and unconditional release from prison,
- Pending their release, ensure that they are protected from all forms of ill-treatment and provided access to adequate healthcare,
- End the harassment, intimidation and persecution of Mother Nature Cambodia and all environmental activists and groups and provide adequate support and protection to those working on defending the environment in Cambodia.