On June 10, 2021, Oumar Sylla (alias Foniké Mengué), a pro-democracy activist and mobilization coordinator for National Front for the Defence of the Constitution (FNDC in French), was sentenced by Conakry’s Court of Appeal to three year imprisonment for “communication and dissemination of false information, violence and threat of death”. He must be immediately and unconditionally released as he is being punished for peacefully exercising his rights to freedom of expression and assembly.TAKE ACTION:
- Please take action as-soon-as possible. This Urgent Action expires on August 26, 2021.
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 154.20. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
- Ensure that Oumar Sylla’s conviction is overturned without delay, making sure it is in line with international law and standards and does not violate his right to freedom of expression; and he is released immediately and unconditionally;
- Ensure that, pending his release, Oumar Sylla’s conditions of detention are in line with international standards, including access to adequate healthcare and regular access to his lawyers and family;
- End the harassment, intimidation and arrests of members of civil society and individuals solely for exercising their rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly.