Victor Yeimo, a pro-independence political activist from Papua and a spokesman for the West Papua National Committee, has been arbitrary arrested and charged with treason for peacefully protesting against racial discrimination in Indonesia. He’s been detained in a solitary confinement with severely restricted access to his family and lawyer. The Indonesian authorities must grant Victor Yeimo’s immediate release or prosecute him in a fair trial.TAKE ACTION:
- Write a letter in your own words or using the sample below as a guide to one or both government officials listed. You can also email, fax, call or Tweet them.
- Click here to let us know the actions you took on Urgent Action 58.21. It’s important to report because we share the total number with the officials we are trying to persuade and the people we are trying to help.
- Immediately release Victor Yeimo and drop all charges against him, unless there is sufficient credible and admissible evidence that he has committed an internationally recognized offence and is granted a fair trial in line with international standards,
- Ensure that he has regular, unrestricted access to his family and a lawyer of his choice in line with the right to a fair trial, and
- Ensure that he is protected from torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment and has access to adequate medical care on request or as necessary.