Thailand: Release Watana Muangsook (UA 90/16)April 20, 2016
A prisoner of conscience is being held in military custody in Thailand, with no access to lawyers or family.
A prisoner of conscience is being held in military custody in Thailand, with no access to lawyers or family. This is the third time since 2 March that Watana Muangsook has been held in military detention without charge or trial.
1) Please write immediately in English, Thai or your own language:
- Calling on the authorities to immediately and unconditionally release Watana Muangsook, as he is a prisoner of conscience, detained solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression and assembly;
- Urging them, pending his release to give him immediate access to independent legal counsel and his family, to an independent, civilian court to determine the legality of his arrest, as well as to adequate medical care;
- Urging them not to detain, prosecute, harass or penalize anyone for peacefully exercising his or her rights to freedom of expression, association or peaceful assembly, in line with their international obligations;
- Calling on them to repeal NCPO Order 3/2015 which allows military authorities to summon and detain people arbitrarily and incommunicado and to lift post-release restrictions on those held for “attitude adjustment”.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Fight injustice and help create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.