Russian Federation: Investigate Attacks Against Human Rights Defenders (UA 57/16)
Members of the Joint Mobile Group (JMG) have been repeatedly threatened by the Chechen authorities and targeted with increasing violence.
Members of the Joint Mobile Group (JMG) have been repeatedly threatened by the Chechen authorities and targeted with increasing violence. They continue their human rights work in the North Caucasus, Russia, but impunity for the perpetrators exposes them to further attacks and puts their lives in imminent danger.
1) Please write immediately in English, Arabic or your own language:
- Expressing deep concern about the recurring attacks against human rights defenders and journalists in the North Caucasus and the authorities’ consistent failure to investigate these effectively thereby providing impunity for the perpetrators;
- Urging that the immediate perpetrators and the masterminds of the attacks of 9 March and 16 March against members of the JMG and journalists, and of the previous attacks against human rights defenders in the North Caucasus, are promptly identified and brought to justice in fair trial proceedings;
- Urging the authorities to respond to a string of threats against several prominent human rights defenders, media workers and political activists, which originated from the political leadership of Chechnya.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!