Malawi: Investigate the Killing of Teenage Boy with Albinism (UA 51/16)March 8, 2016
A teenage boy with albinism from Malawi who went missing on 24 April has been found dead in Mozambique with his hands and feet chopped off.
A teenage boy with albinism from Malawi who went missing on 24 April has been found dead in Mozambique with his hands and feet chopped off. Thousands of people with albinism live in constant fear of being abducted or killed in Malawi, where their body parts are being sold for use in ritual purposes.
1) Please write immediately in English or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to prioritise providing effective protection for people with albinism and ensure their right to life and personal security, in accordance with Malawi’s international human rights obligations and commitments;
- Calling for those suspected to be responsible for the killing of David Fletcher and for crimes against people with albinism, including abductions and killings, to be brought to justice through trials that meet international standards of fairness;
- Expressing concern over the safety and security of people with albinism in Malawi following high reports of killings, abductions and attempted abductions.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!