Indonesia: Release Steven Itlay and Jus Wenda (UA 80/16)April 8, 2016
A Papuan political activist arrested on 5 April as a result of his peaceful political activities has been suffering from chest pain and frequent headaches due to poor detention conditions.
A Papuan political activist arrested on 5 April as a result of his peaceful political activities has been suffering from chest pain and frequent headaches due to poor detention conditions. The activist has been charged with “rebellion” (makar) and could face up to life imprisonment.
1) Please write immediately in English, Indonesian or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to immediately and unconditionally release Steven Itlay and drop the charges against him as he has been detained solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression and assembly;
- Calling them to ensure that pending the release of Steven Itlay and Jus Wenda, they are protected from torture or other ill-treatment, and have regular and unhindered access to their family and lawyer of their choice;
- Urging Indonesian authorities to ensure that Steven Itlay immediately and fully receives any medical treatment he may require.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with “UA 80/16” in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.