Honduras: Investigate the Killing of Human Rights Defender Nelson García (UA 60/16)March 16, 2016
Nelson García, 38, active member of the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organisations of Honduras (COPINH) was killed on 15 March in Rio Lindo (West).
Nelson García, 38, active member of the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organisations of Honduras (COPINH) was killed on 15 March in Rio Lindo (West). Since the murder of Berta Cáceres on 3 March, other COPINH members and Berta Caceres´ relatives have been harassed by authorities and unidentified armed men.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Calling on the authorities for a prompt, thorough and impartial investigation into Nelson García’s killing and all other security incidents and harassment against COPINH members and Berta Cáceres’ relatives;
- Calling on the authorities to take all appropriate measures to guarantee the safety of COPINH members and Berta Caceres' relatives in accordance with their wishes in order to fulfil their obligation to protect them as set in the precautionary measures granted by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights;
- Calling on the authorities to publicly recognize the legitimate and rightful work done by COPINH and all Human Rights Defenders in the country and to take other effective measures to stop their criminalization.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with “UA 60/16” in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.