Angola: Quash the Conviction Against Manuel Chivonde Nito Alves (UA 38/16)February 19, 2016
Human rights and pro-democracy activist, Manuel Chivonde Nito Alves, was charged with contempt of Court and subjected to a summary trial. He was sentenced to six months in prison and asked to pay a fine on 8 February.
Human rights and pro-democracy activist, Manuel Chivonde Nito Alves, was charged with contempt of Court and subjected to a summary trial. He was sentenced to six months in prison and asked to pay a fine on 8 February. He is now serving his sentence at Viana Prison.
1) Please write immediately in Portuguese, English or your own language:
- Calling on the Angolan authorities to quash the conviction against Manuel Chivonde Nito Alves and immediately and unconditionally release him as he is a prisoner of conscience, imprisoned and convicted solely for the peaceful exercise of his right to freedom of expression;
- Urging the authorities to ensure that the criminal justice system is not used to target or harass activists and human rights defenders;
- Urging them to end the practice of arbitrary arrests, harassment and intimidation of activists and human rights defenders, and to uphold the rights to freedom of association, peaceful assembly and expression.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with "UA 38/16" in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.