• Press Release

Turkey: HDP deputies detained amid growing onslaught on Kurdish opposition voices

November 4, 2016

The detention of 12 deputies from the Kurdish-rooted leftist Peoples’ Democracy Party (HDP) since last night marks the latest escalation in the onslaught on dissent amid Turkey’s state of emergency, Amnesty International said today.

The detentions – on a range of “terrorism”-related charges – come on the heels of mass closures of Kurdish media outlets, the ousting of at least 24 pro-Kurdish mayors and rolling blackouts on internet access that hinder communications. They were followed this morning by an explosion killing at least eight people in Diyarbakır in the mainly Kurdish south-east of the country.

“Today’s detention of HDP deputies is the latest escalation in the government’s evisceration of Kurdish opposition voices in public life,” said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International’s Europe Director.

“Coming after the blanket closure by executive decree of Turkey’s Kurdish media and the arrests of Diyarbakır’s co-mayors, it gravely undermines the rights to freedom of expression and association and severely restricts the ability to participate in public life. It is an ominous indicator of the road ahead under the state of emergency.

“The familiar pattern of arbitrary detentions under trumped-up terrorism charges followed by political show trials must not be allowed to unfold. In the absence of any credible evidence of crimes, they should be immediately released.”

Investigations have been initiated against 54 out of 59 deputies from the HDP, the third-largest party in Turkey’s Parliament. Parliamentary immunity was lifted in May in a step seen as enabling the prosecution of the party’s deputies.

Twelve deputies from the party have been detained since last night, including the party’s co-chairs Selahattin Demirtaş and Figen Yüksekdağ who are accused of “making propaganda for a terrorist organization”, a provision routinely used to stifle dissent on Kurdish issues in Turkey. Three deputies have since been released while five have been remanded in pre-trial detention. The party’s head offices in Ankara were also raided by police.

Following the news of the latest detentions, a suspected car bomb was detonated outside police headquarters in Diyarbakır. Eight people were reported killed in the blast including two police officers. No group has yet taken responsibility for the bombing, an outrage that breaches the fundamental principles of international law.

As the detentions took place, social media users in Turkey found that they were not able to access services like Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp. Access to internet services in general remains limited across Turkey today. Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said this afternoon that such measures were “temporary precautions” and would be lifted once “danger is eliminated”.

The detentions come after other moves to oust pro-autonomy political voices from office. In September, 24 elected mayors from pro-autonomy Kurdish parties in the Kurdish-dominated south-east of Turkey were replaced by executive decree and, just last weekend, the HDP co-mayors of the high-profile Diyarbakır Municipality were detained and replaced with a trustee.

Also last weekend, executive decrees have resulted in the blanket closures of media outlets, including the Kurdish daily, Özgür Gündem, the Kurdish language Azadiya Welat and the JINHA women’s news agency, along with local media outlets in the south-east and other opposition media in Turkey.