Responding to a news report that more than 700 refugees and migrants in Libya were trapped in a detention center in Qasr bin Ghasher in close proximity to intense armed clashes in Tripoli, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Magdalena Mughrabi, said:
“The Libyan government must immediately release all migrants and refugees from these horrific detention centers where they are held illegally and face appalling abuse and torture. The authorities must do everything to ensure the safety of these men, women and children, left without access to food, water and other essentials amid the escalating violence in and around Tripoli.
“By actively supporting the Libyan authorities in stopping sea crossings and containing people in Libya, European governments have helped to fuel this crisis. The renewed conflict in Tripoli shows yet again how crucial it is for EU member states to ensure safe routes out of Libya for migrants and refugees. EU member states must also reconsider their support for the Libyan Coast Guard, which has returned countless migrants and refugees back to Libya where they face arbitrary and indefinite detention, torture, extortion and sexual violence, among other serious violations.”
On April 4, the self-proclaimed Libyan National Army, under General Khalifa Haftar’s command, launched an offensive to take control of Tripoli. Since then fighting has intensified between his forces and militias aligned with Libya’s internationally recognized Government of National Accord.
Around 3,000 migrants and refugees are trapped in detention centers in Abu Salim, Gharyan and Qasr bin Ghasher, close to the fighting. To date, UNHCR has been able to facilitate the relocation of 150 refugees from the Ain Zara detention center to its Gathering and Departure Facility. UNHCR said its efforts to secure additional transfers of refugees from other detention centers have been hampered by access and security challenges.
At least 18,250 people have been displaced by the armed clashes with 48 civilian casualties confirmed by the United Nations, including 13 civilians killed and others injured.
On Friday April 12, UNHCR issued an urgent appeal calling for the immediate release of refugees and migrants from detention centers in view of the worsening security situation.
The Libyan Coast Guard has returned at least 19 refugees and migrants since the outbreak of violence in Tripoli.