The number of people believed to have been killed during demonstrations in Iran that broke out on November 15 has risen to at least 208, said Amnesty International, based on credible reports received by the organization. The real figure is likely to be higher.
Dozens of the deaths have been recorded in Shahriar city in Tehran province – one of the cities with the highest death tolls.
“This alarming death toll is further evidence that Iran’s security forces went on a horrific killing spree, that left at least 208 people dead in less than a week. This shocking death toll displays the Iranian authorities’ shameful disregard for human life,” said Philip Luther, Research and Advocacy Director for the Middle East and North Africa at Amnesty International.
“Those responsible for this bloody clampdown on demonstrations must be held accountable for their actions. Since the Iranian authorities have previously shown they are unwilling to carry out independent, impartial and effective investigations into unlawful killings and other arbitrary use of force against protesters, we are calling on the international community to help ensure accountability.”
According to information gathered by Amnesty International, families of victims have been threatened and warned not to speak to the media, or to hold funeral ceremonies for their loved ones. Some families are also being forced to make extortionate payments to have the bodies of their loved ones returned to them.
Extensive video footage verified and analyzed by Amnesty International’s Digital Verification Corps shows security forces shooting at unarmed protesters.
Amnesty International compiled the death toll from reports whose credibility it has ascertained by interviewing a range of sources inside and outside Iran including victims’ relatives, journalists and human rights activists involved in gathering the information. It then crosschecked the information.