Ola al-Qaradawy and her husband Hossam Khalaf have been arrested on unfound charges and held in poor prison conditions. Although Hossam Khalaf has been transferred to a collective cell, Ola al-Qaradawy has been in solitary confinement since her arrest. Their health is critically deteriorating and Hossam Khalaf has been denied access to healthcare.
1) TAKE ACTION
Write a letter, send an email, call, fax or tweet:
- Calling on the Egyptian authorities to ensure that Ola al-Qaradawy and Hossam Khalaf are able to challenge the lawfulness of the detention;
- Urging them to immediately end the prolonged solitary confinement of Ola al-Qaradawy;
- Urging them to provide Ola al-Qaradawy and Hossam Khalaf access to the adequate healthcare they require, and to allow them to receive regular visits from their relatives and lawyers;
- Reminding them that pre-trial detention must be an exceptional measure and based on an individualized determination that is reasonable and necessary, specified in law and without vague and expansive standards.
Contact these two officials by 10 January, 2018:
Minister of Interior
Minister Magdy Abd el-Ghaffar
Ministry of Interior
Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt
Fax: 202 2794 5529
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Salutation: Dear Minister
Ambassador Yasser Reda, Embassy of Egypt
3521 International Ct NW, Washington DC 20008
Phone: 202 895 5400
Fax: 202 244 4319 -OR- 202 244 5131
Email: [email protected]
Salutation: Dear Ambassador
2) LET US KNOW YOU TOOK ACTION
Click here to let us know if you took action on this case! This is Urgent Action 206.17
Here’s why it is so important to report your actions: we record the actions taken on each case—letters, emails, calls and tweets—and use that information in our advocacy.