The execution of 13 members of Aum Shinrikyo could be carried out any moment following the completion of the trial for the final two other cult members who turned themselves in after 17 years on the run.
1) TAKE ACTION
Write a letter, send an email, call, fax or tweet:
- Halt any planned executions and commute the death sentences of the 13 members of Aum Shinrikyo and all other prisoners, without delay;
- Explain that you consider all executions to be a violation of the right to life but are not seeking to excuse violent crime or downplay the suffering caused;
- Establish a moratorium on executions with a view to abolishing the death penalty and to encourage an informed national debate on the use of this punishment;
- Pending that, end the secrecy that surrounds the use of the death penalty in Japan and provide the prisoners, their family and lawyers and the public with notification of any scheduled executions.
[DEADLINE EXTENSION] Contact these two officials by 11 May, 2018:
Minister of Justice
1-1-1 Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo, Japan 100-8977
Ministry of Justice
Fax: +81 3 3592 7008 / +81 3 3592 7393
Salutation: Dear Minister
Ambassador Kenichiro Sasae, Embassy of Japan
2520 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20008
Phone: 202.238.6700 | Fax: 202.328.2187
Salutation: Dear Ambassador
2) LET US KNOW YOU TOOK ACTION
Click here to let us know if you took action on this case! This is Urgent Action 213.16
Here’s why it is so important to report your actions: we record the actions taken on each case—letters, emails, calls and tweets—and use that information in our advocacy.