Amnesty International USA Appropriations Requests for Fiscal Year 2019
AIUSA calls on Congress to support human rights in FY 2019 appropriations cycle
As Congress considers appropriations for the Fiscal Year 2019 funding cycle, AIUSA sent the following request to all Members of Congress on May 1, 2018. The memorandum requests that the essential tools of diplomacy and the human rights functions within the Department of State (“DOS”) and the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (“USAID”) top-line accounts, be robustly funded.
There has never been a more important time for the U.S. to maintain its essential contributions to the global effort to ensure that human rights are upheld, preserved, and protected. In the year in which we celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, we urge Congress to fully and robustly fund the essential tools the U.S. Government uses to help fight for the human rights of all throughout the world.
The request includes the following sections:
- Section 1: Support human rights programs and Congress’ ability to promote the respect and protection of
human rights throughout the world.
- Section 2: Funding to Protect Human Rights Defenders
- Section 3: Family Planning/Reproductive Health
- Section 4: Gender-based Violence
- Section 5: Humanitarian Assistance
- Section 6: Support the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program
- Section 7: Support the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration at the Department of State
- Section 8: Reject increased detention and deportation of asylum seekers including children and families
- Section 9: Support Gun Violence Research & Prevention Strategies
- Section 10: Africa
- Section 11: Middle East and North Africa
- Section 12: Americas
- Section 13: Europe and Central Asia
- Section 14: Asia