October 2016 (Write For Rights Campaign and related Group Activities)February 2, 2018
In October, the Monthly Membership call highlighted AIUSA’s 2016 Write For Rights Campaign and how groups and individuals can participate in our movement’s largest gobal event. Every year, to mark Human Rights Day on December 10, hundreds of thousands of people around the world send letters and sign online petitions on behalf of someone they’ve never met, as part of Write for Rights.
We offered suggestions for ways that members can participate individually in the campaign or to plan larger scale write-a-thon events with their groups. We provided outlines of this year’s cases and also featured an in-depth look at two of this year’s profile cases: Shawkan (Egypt) and Ilham Toti (China).
We also heard how local and student groups can mutually benefit from sharing and coordinating their Write for Rights activities.
- Emily Walsh, Campaigner, Individuals At Risk
- Allison Wedwaldt, Intern, Individuals At Risk
- Geoffrey Mock, Country Specialist for Egypt
- Steven Pieragastini, Country Specialist for China
- James Zimmerman, Country Specialist for China
- Kathryn Ford, Coordinator, AI Group 471