It's Your Body. Know Your Rights!
We all have the right to make decisions about our own health, body, sexuality and reproductive life, without fear, coercion, violence or discrimination. But all over the world, people's freedom to make these decisions is controlled by the state, medical professionals, even their own families. Criminal law and punitive sanctions are frequently used to control such choices. In the end, many people are prevented from making any choice at all.
Sexual and reproductive rights mean you have the right to:
- Make decisions about our own health, body, sexual life and identity without fear of coercion or criminalization
- Seek and receive information about sexuality and reproduction and access related health services and contraception
- Have access to comprehensive education on human sexuality, sexual and reproductive health, human rights and gender equality
- Decide whether and when to have children, and how many to have
- Access safe abortion services in cases of rape, incest, when the life or health of the pregnant woman is at risk, or when there is severe or fatal fetal impairment
- Choose our intimate partner, whether and when to marry and what type of family to create
- Live free from discrimination, coercion and violence, including rape and other sexual violence, female genital mutilation/cutting, forced pregnancy, forced abortion, forced sterilization and forced marriage
This spring, we're focusing on Ireland's near-total abortion ban, working to end child marriage in Burkina Faso and to remove barriers to information and contraception, and ending violence against women and LGBT people in Tunisia.
You can make a difference.
Join in, download the toolkit, and take action and raise your voice for sexual and reproductive rights
- Learn the facts on sexual and reproductive rights
- Find resources to educate your group, class, or community on human rights and sexual and reproductive rights
- Get creative ideas for action to promote sexual and reproductive rights in your own community
- Use all the resources below to take action and defend sexual and reproductive rights!