It's Your Body. Know Your Rights!
We all have the right to make decisions about our own health, body, sexuality and reproductive life, without fear, coercion, violence or discrimination. But all over the world, people's freedom to make these decisions is controlled by the state, medical professionals, even their own families. Criminal law and punitive sanctions are frequently used to control such choices. In the end, many people are prevented from making any choice at all.
Sexual and reproductive rights mean you have the right to:
- Make decisions about your own health, body, sexual life and identity without fear, coercion, criminalization, or discrimination.
- Access sexual and reproductive related health services, including contraception.
- Have access to fact-based, comprehensive sex education.
- Decide if you want to have children, when you want have them, and how many.
- Access safe abortion services at a minimum in cases of rape, incest, when the life or health of the pregnant person is at risk, or when there is severe or fatal fetal impairment
- Choose your intimate partner and if you want to marry and when.
- Live free from violence including rape and other sexual violence (e.g. female genital mutilation/cutting, forced pregnancy, forced abortion, forced sterilization and forced marriage).
- Live free from discrimination based on your sex, gender, sexuality, or perceived identity.
This Fall, we're focusing on bringing human rights home through human rights education. Sexual and reproductive rights can be immensely personal, and also controversial. For many people, sexuality and gender are spaces of strong emotional connections and firmly held beliefs. The act of questioning our assumptions or challenging those of others can feel dangerous and exhausting while still being exhilarating and inspiring. Learn more about how human rights education and our Sexual and Reproductive Rights Advocate Trainers can help guide these conversations in the Fall 2016 toolkit and about other actions you can take.
You can make a difference.
Join the fight, download the toolkit, take action, and raise your voice for sexual and reproductive rights! In the toolkit you’ll:
- Learn more about sexual and reproductive rights;
- Learn about and connect with Sexual and Reproductive Rights Advocate Trainers in your region;
- Get creative ideas for action to help promote sexual and reproductive rights in your own community.
Use all the resources below to take action and defend sexual and reproductive rights!