- Ahmed Saakin Farah Ilyas, a journalist for Universal TV, was shot dead by unknown gunmen on 25 October in Las Anod town.
- Boqor Osman Mohamoud Buurmadow was arrested on 15 March in Hargeisa. He was charged on 24 April with “anti-national activity of a citizen abroad”, “subversive or anti-national propaganda” and “continuing offence” for comments he made in the United Arab Emirates criticizing the President of Somaliland's visit to China. On 8 July he was convicted and sentenced to one year's imprisonment for “insulting a public official”, but he was released on 18 July.
Amnesty International visits/reports
- Somaliland: Release prisoner of conscience (AFR 52/007/2012)
- Somalia: Protection of civilians and human rights are critical for stable future (PRE01/100/2012)
- Somalia: Attacks against journalists must stop (PRE01/112/2012)
- Somalia must end impunity for killing of media workers (PRE01/390/2012)