Annual Report: Guinea 2010

May 28, 2010

Annual Report: Guinea 2010

View More Research

Head of state Sékouba Konaté (replaced Moussa Dadis Camara in December)
Head of government Kabiné Komara
Death penalty retentionist
Population 10.1 million
Life expectancy 57.3 years
Under-5 mortality (m/f) 157/138 per 1,000
Adult literacy 29.5 per cent

Security forces extrajudicially executed more than 150 peaceful demonstrators and injured more than 1,500 others in a stadium during a protest; dozens of women were raped in public. Torture and other illtreatment were widespread. Dozens of people were arbitrarily detained, including at secret locations. The security forces continued to enjoy impunity for human rights violations. Human rights defenders and journalists faced threats and intimidation.


In January, ECOWAS endorsed the decision taken by the AU and suspended Guinea until the country reestablishes constitutional order. President Moussa Dadis Camara, head of a military junta that seized power in late 2008, promised to hold elections in 2009 and pledged that neither he nor any member of the National Council for Democracy and Development (Conseil national pour la démocratie et le développement, CNDD) would run for the presidency. The CNDD's popularity dwindled when it became clear in February that President Camara was reluctant to keep his promise.

After the 28 September stadium massacre (see below), ECOWAS and the EU imposed an arms embargo on Guinea. Targeted sanctions against members of the junta were also imposed by the AU and EU.

In December, President Camara was wounded in an assassination attempt; General Sékouba Konaté replaced him on an interim basis.

Excessive use of force and extrajudicial executions

Security forces routinely used excessive and unnecessary lethal force against peaceful demonstrators. No sanctions were taken against those responsible for unlawful killings. On several occasions, CNDD members encouraged people to lynch suspected thieves.

  • In August, one person was killed and two were seriously wounded in Kamsar when the security forces broke up demonstrations against water and electricity shortages.
  • On 28 September, more than 150 people were extrajudicially killed and over 1,500 injured when the security forces violently repressed a peaceful demonstration in Conakry. Thousands of demonstrators assembled in a stadium in response to a call by a coalition of political parties, trade unions and civil society organizations to protest against the participation of President Camara in the presidential elections planned for January 2010. The junta had banned the demonstration.
  • On 30 September, a soldier dragged a man along the main road in Bomboli before stabbing him to death. His body was left on the road.
  • Also on 30 September, in the district of La Cimenterie, Conakry, soldiers wearing red berets, who were looking for an alleged opposition supporter, stabbed to death his 75-year-old mother.


The security forces continued to enjoy impunity. A national commission of inquiry, set up in 2007 to investigate grave human rights violations in 2006 and 2007, did not conduct any investigations.