- Calling for the execution of Ivan Teleguz to be stopped and his death sentence commuted;
- Noting that two witnesses have recanted their trial testimony, and that the threat of the death penalty was used to secure the cooperation of a third principal witness at trial, the person who killed Stephanie Sipe;
- Expressing concern that before its sentencing decision, the jury heard highly prejudicial aggravating evidence against the defendant pointing to his involvement in a murder that did not occur as alleged;
- Explaining that you are not seeking to downplay the seriousness of violent crime or its consequences.
Urgent Action: Virginia Execution Reset As Doubts Persist (USA: UA 55/17)
March 13, 2017
Ivan Teleguz, a Ukrainian national, is scheduled to be executed in Virginia on 25 April. He maintains his innocence of the 2001 murder for which he was sent to death row in 2006.
1) TAKE ACTION
Write a letter, send an email, call, fax or tweet:
Contact below official by 21 April, 2017:
Governor Terry McAuliffe
Common Ground for Virginia, P.O. Box 1475, Richmond, VA 23218, USA
Fax: +1 804-371 6531
Email (via website): https://governor.virginia.gov/constituent-services/communicating-with-the-governors-office/
Salutation: Dear Governor
2) LET US KNOW YOU TOOK ACTION
Here's why it is so important to report your actions: we record the number and types of actions taken—letters, emails, calls and tweets—on each case and use that information in our advocacy.