Alfonso Lázaro de la Fuente and Raúl García Pérez were arrested by police on 5 February after performing a puppet show in a public event in Madrid. They were released on 10 February but are facing charges that include “glorifying terrorism”. If found guilty they could spend up to four years in prison.
- Urging the Spanish authorities to drop the charges against Alfonso Lázaro de la Fuente and Raúl García Pérez as they stem solely from their peaceful exercise of the right to freedom of expression;
- Urging them, in the meantime, to drop or significantly lessen the restrictions imposed related to these charges and ensure that any such restriction is strictly necessary and proportional as required under international law;
- Calling on them to repeal or amend the Criminal Code articles which impose disproportionate restrictions to human rights, including the right to freedom of expression, in line with international human rights law and standards.
- EITHER send a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "UA 35/16" in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.