If you want to make a significant gift to AIUSA but need reliable income, then you should consider a charitable gift annuity. This gift can be established by a simple contractual agreement between you and AIUSA. Under the agreement, you transfer cash or securities to AIUSA. In return, you receive dependable payments—for the rest of your life. You can also claim an immediate charitable deduction for part of what you give. After your lifetime, the remainder of your gift will help AIUSA fight for justice and human rights around the world.
A charitable gift annuity is a simple contract between you and AIUSA. In exchange for your irrevocable gift of cash, securities, or other assets, AIUSA will provide fixed, lifetime payments to you and/or a loved one. The payments will begin when you want them to – either now (immediate payment) or at a future date (deferred payment). The amount of your annuity is established when the gift is made and does not vary with fluctuations in the economy.
- It costs nothing to set up a charitable gift annuity.
- The minimum for an initial contract is only $10,000.
- Payments are based on age, and are fixed and guaranteed by the general resources of AIUSA, and backed by a segregated reserve account.
- You will be able to make a charitable income tax deduction for the gift portion of your annuity in the year of the gift, with up to 5 years to take any unused deduction.
- With a gift funded with appreciated securities, you will only pay capital gains tax on the projected income benefit from your gift, and that tax liability will be spread over the life time of your contract if you are the income beneficiary.
Please call or email AIUSA’s planned giving staff or complete the Information Request Form to find out more about Charitable Gift Annuities. We will prepare a personalized illustration of benefits, provide you with a full disclosure statement, and help you complete your gift. You will then be presented with a contract based on the valuation of the date of transfer. Amnesty will then begin paying you or your designated annuitant(s) the agreed-upon amount and will continue doing so for your entire life.
Amnesty International's gift annuity payments are based on the rates recommended by the American Council on Gift Annuities and are not meant to be competitive with commercial annuities.
AIUSA suggests that you consult your attorney or other financial advisor before proceeding with your gift.