October 2, 2015
Venezuela: Investigate the Attack on Marino Alvarado and His Son (UA 217/15)
Human rights defender Marino Alvarado and his nine-year-old son were attacked by three armed men in their home.
Human rights defender Marino Alvarado and his nine-year-old son were attacked by three armed men in their home. He, his family and other colleagues may be at risk of further attacks.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Calling on the authorities to order a full and impartial investigation into the attack on Marino Alvarado and his son, which appear to be in reprisal for Marino Alvarado’s work as a human rights defender;
- Urging them to take all appropriate measures to guarantee the right to life and physical integrity of Marino Alvarado and his family, in accordance with their wishes in order to fulfil their obligation to protect human rights defenders, as set out in the 1998 UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders;
- Urging them to stop any attempts to discredit human rights defenders, in particular by halting all public declarations by high-ranking authorities that attack and smear the legitimate work of human rights defenders.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with “UA 217/15” in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.