May 26, 2015
Venezuela: Guarantee the Safety of Horacia Giusti (UA 115/15)
Horacio Giusti, a journalist and volunteer press officer has reported being beaten.
Horacio Giusti, a journalist and volunteer press officer has reported being beaten. This attack appears to be directly linked to his work at the Venezuelan Penal Forum (Foro Penal Venezolano), a lawyers’ network that has represented hundreds of people detained during anti-government protests.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to take all appropriate measures to guarantee the right to life and physical integrity of Horacio Giusti, in accordance with his wishes; and calling on them to order a full and impartial investigation into the attack against him which appears to be in reprisal for his work at the Venezuelan Penal Forum;
- Calling on them to ensure that all human rights defenders and lawyers who have been the target of threats, harassment or attacks as a result of their work receive full protection according to their wishes and comprehensive investigations are carried out into their complaints;
- Urging them to explicitly recognize the legitimacy of the work of human rights defenders. This must include public declarations recognizing their contribution to the promotion of human rights.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with "UA 115/15" in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent;
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.