November 20, 2015
Uzbekistan: Quash the Conviction Against Uktam Pardaev (UA 264/15)
Human rights defender Uktam Pardaev was given a three year conditional sentence on 11 January which heavily restricts his movements and activities.
Human rights defender Uktam Pardaev was given a three year conditional sentence on 11 January which heavily restricts his movements and activities. He spent eight weeks in pre-trial detention in degrading conditions and is now under constant surveillance.
1) Please write immediately in Uzbek, Russian, English or your own language:
- Calling on the authorities to quash the conviction against Uktam Pardaev, who has been targeted solely for his legitimate human rights work;
- Urging them to order a prompt, independent and impartial investigation into allegations of beatings by prison officials and cruel, inhuman and degrading conditions of detention and bring those responsible to justice;
- Reminding the Uzbekistani authorities of their responsibility to protect human rights defenders and ensure they can carry out their legitimate activities free of harassment and without fear of reprisals, as set out in the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to [email protected] with "UA 264/15" in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent,
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.