May 19, 2015
Peru: Investigate the Killings of Victoriano Huayna, Henry Checlla Chura, Alberto Vasquez Duran and Ramón Colque (UA 109/15)
Four people, including one police officer, have been killed and hundreds injured during protests against a planned copper mining project in southern Peru.
Four people, including one police officer, have been killed and hundreds injured during protests against a planned copper mining project in southern Peru. The authorities imposed a state of emergency in the region following the latest killing on 22 May.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Calling on the authorities to carry out full and impartial investigations into the killings of Victoriano Huayna, Henry Checlla Chura, Alberto Vasquez Duran and Ramón Colque, as well as those injured, and to bring those found responsible to justice;
- Acknowledging that while the state has a duty to maintain public order, it should never use excessive force and must guarantee the right to freedom of peaceful assembly; and to take urgent measures so that the security forces comply in all circumstances with human rights standards on the use of progressive, selective and proportionate force when policing social protests;
- Calling on them to guarantee the rights of all those communities affected by the mining project to participation, information and consultation.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Fight injustice and help create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.