June 2, 2015
Mexico: Ensure Protection and Justice for Omar Esparza (UA 124/15)
The widower of a human rights defender killed in 2010 has received information concerning plans to take his life.
The widower of a human rights defender killed in 2010 has received information concerning plans to take his life. The threats follow a series of intimidating acts directed at him and others that are calling for the investigation of the murder.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Urging the federal and state authorities to provide effective and comprehensive protection for Omar Esparza, in strict accordance with his wishes, and in full compliance with local legislation on witness protection;
- Calling for a full, prompt and impartial investigation into the threats against Omar Esparza, and for those responsible to be brought to account;
- Calling for a full investigation into the killing of Bety Cariño and Jyri Jaakkola, as well as the killing of many other people from San Juan Copala in the last few years, including the apparent links between armed gangs and municipal and state authorities, and for those responsible to be brought to justice.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!