May 15, 2015
Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand: Ensure Safety of Refugees and Migrants at Risk (UA 108/15)
Thousands of refugees and migrants remain at risk in seas around Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Thousands of refugees and migrants remain at risk in seas around Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Those who have landed in Malaysia and Indonesia are at risk of detention and unlawful return.
1) Please write immediately in English, Malaysian, Thai, Indonesian or your own language urging these countries to:
- Provide for the immediate humanitarian needs of refugees and migrants including food, water, shelter and health care;
- Ensure that people claiming asylum are able to access refugee status determination procedures and that individuals are not criminalized, detained or otherwise punished solely for their method of arrival in the country;
- Respect the principle of non-refoulement, by ensuring that people are not transferred to any place, including their country of origin, where their lives or freedoms are at risk;
- Allow all boats carrying refugees and migrants to land safely in the nearest country to their vessel and not push them back, threaten or otherwise intimidate them;
- Co-ordinate search and rescue operations to locate and assist boats in distress;
- Call on the Government of Myanmar to end all discrimination against the Rohingya in law, policy and practice.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Fight injustice and help create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.