January 6, 2016
Ethiopia: Release Diribie Erga and Other Peaceful Protesters (UA 1/16)
The Ethiopian authorities arbitrarily arrested and detained a number of peaceful protesters including journalists and opposition party leaders in recent brutal crackdown on protesters in the Oromia Region.
The Ethiopian authorities arbitrarily arrested and detained a number of peaceful protesters including journalists and opposition party leaders in recent brutal crackdown on protesters in the Oromia Region. Those detained remain at risk of torture and other ill-treatment and should immediately and unconditionally be released.
1) Please write immediately in Amharic, English or your own language:
- Urging the Ethiopian authorities to immediately and unconditionally release Dejene Tafa and other Oromia peaceful protesters, and to ensure that they are not subjected to torture or other ill-treatment pending their release;
- Calling on them to immediately cease the use of excessive force against protesters in accordance to the UN Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms by Law Enforcement Officials;
- Urging them to conduct a thorough, independent and impartial investigation into human rights violations committed in the context of the Oromia protests, including allegations of torture and other ill-treatment, and provide effective remedies for the victims.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Fight injustice and help create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.