October 19, 2015
Colombia: Investigate the Killing of Benicio Flor Belalcazar (UA 234/15)
Benicio Flor Belalcazar, the former mayor of Suárez Municipality, who had been active in the current local election campaign was killed by two armed men.
Benicio Flor Belalcazar, the former mayor of Suárez Municipality, who had been active in the current local election campaign was killed by two armed men. His wife survived the attack but there are concerns for the safety of members of their community and candidates in local and regional elections, scheduled to take place on 25 October.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
- Expressing concern for the safety of Deysi Grajales, Eider Flor and other members of the Indigenous community of Cerro Tijeras in northern Cauca Department, as well as César Lizardo Cerón and other candidates in the 25 October elections, and urging the authorities to guarantee their safety in strict accordance with their wishes;
- Calling on the authorities to order a full and impartial investigation into the killing of Benicio Flor Belalcazar and the threats against Indigenous Peoples in northern Cauca Department, publish the results and bring those responsible to justice.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Fight injustice and help create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.