July 31, 2015
Bulgaria: Halt Eviction of 126 Roma Families (UA 169/15)
22 Romani families are at imminent risk of forced eviction on 31 August. They are part of a total of 124 Romani households in Gurmen municipality that have received demolition orders.
22 Romani families are at imminent risk of forced eviction on 31 August. They are part of a total of 124 Romani households in Gurmen municipality that have received demolition orders. Bulgarian authorities have not yet committed to put in place key international human rights safeguards.
1) Please write immediately in English or your own language:
- Urging local authorities to provide the eight families whose houses have been demolished with adequate alternative housing and compensation for their losses;
- Urging the authorities to engage, prior to any eviction, in meaningful consultations with the remaining families at risk, to explore all feasible alternatives to the planned evictions and resettlement options, including the provision of adequate alternative housing, in accordance with international human rights standards;
- Calling on the Bulgarian authorities to adopt a law prohibiting forced evictions and ensure that lawful evictions are carried out in accordance with international standards.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Fight injustice and help create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.