Deniz Yuksel is Turkey Advocacy Specialist at Amnesty International USA. Previously, she conducted research on Turkish foreign policy in the Middle East, U.S.-Turkey relations, Turkey’s domestic politics, refugees, human rights, and religious freedom at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Foundation for Defense of Democracies, Middle East Institute, and the Turkish Industry and Business Association (TÜSİAD). Prior to that, she designed and taught a human rights education course in partnership with the Mother Child Education Foundation (AÇEV) in Istanbul, Turkey.
Deniz holds a bachelor’s degree in Middle Eastern Studies and Arabic from Georgetown University. In addition to her native Turkish, she is proficient in Arabic and Persian.
- Interview | Turkey prepares to leave women’s rights convention
- Interview | Biden aims to bolster troubled Turkey ties in first Erdoğan meeting
- Blog | How Turkish law empowers abusers and denies women the right to seek justice
- Interview | ‘We don’t accept one man’s decision’: Turkish women rise up against Erdogan’s withdrawal from Convention
- Interview | Turkish Women Protest withdrawal from the Istanbul Convention: “This is about fundamental human rights”
- Interview | Turkey’s pro-Kurdish party to survive probe into terror links -analysts
- Interview | Turkey’s Erdogan Calls Student Protesters Terrorists, Intensifying Anti-LGBT Rhetoric
- Blog | Turkey’s Government Wants Silicon Valley to Do Its Dirty Work
- Blog | Turkey’s Government Is Using Antigay Hate to Retain Power
- Interview | Human Rights and Freedom of Speech in Turkey
- Interview | 1,000 Days in Prison: Osman Kavala and Turkey’s Political Prisoners
- Interview | Censorship, streamlined: Turkey’s social media law and the future of free speech online in the Middle East
- Journal Article | Turkey’s COVID-19 Response
- Blog | Resilience in Turkey: Don’t Write off Turkey’s Democracy
- Blog | Coronavirus Has Opposite Effects on Turkish Policy in Syria and Libya
- Blog | Why Turkey Is Raising the Stakes in the East Mediterranean
- Blog | Turkey’s Reconfigured Ties with the ‘Strategic West’
- Blog | Will Turkey and China Become Friends?
- Blog | Turkey’s Rising Wave of Social Protests
- Blog | Growing Anti-Syrian Sentiment in Turkey
- Blog | US State Department Report Exposes Turkey’s Human Rights Abuses
- Blog | Fair Shots for All: At WTO, US Must Prioritize Vaccine Access for Lower-Income Countries Over Drug Company Profits