Contact: Suzanne Trimel, 212-633-4150, email@example.com
(New York) -- With the announcement that former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his two sons will stand trial for the killings of anti-government protesters, Amnesty International called on authorities today to prosecute all of those responsible for the killings and torture of protesters, including the military.
"That Mr. Mubarak and his sons are to stand trial is a very welcome step but all those found responsible for the killings and other human rights violations, such as torture, must face prosecution and must be held accountable," said Amnesty International.
Mubark, his sons and his ally, Hussein Salem, have been charged with "premeditated murder of some participants in the peaceful protests of the January 2011 revolution," Egypt's public prosecutor said in a statement.
"The families of those killed during protest violence have a right to justice as do all those who were seriously injured or subjected to arbitrary detention or torture, including at the hands of the military," said Amnesty International
"The trial must offer the victims and their families the chance to confront the defendants and get answers. This is a unique opportunity for truth to be revealed and justice to be seen to be done in Egypt."
The four men also face charges related to corruption and the misuse of public funds.
Last week, Amnesty International published a report calling on Egyptian authorities to provide justice to all of the victims of violent repression that took place during mass anti-government protests.
The report, "Egypt Rises: Killings, Detentions and Torture in the '25 January Revolution" detailed abuses that led to at least 846 deaths during the protests. The report provided evidence of the use of excessive force by security forces in a bid to suppress protests calling for the removal of Mubarak.
Many protesters were killed by gunfire. Over 6,400 people were also injured in protests, some of them permanently.
Former Interior Minister Habib El Adly also faces charges arising from the killings of protesters. His trial resumed last week and the next trial session is scheduled for June 26.