- Calling on the authorities to carry out independent, thorough and impartial investigations into Rafael Uzcátegui and Carlos Correa’s complaints that their communications are being monitored by the authorities;
- Urging them halt any attacks and smear campaigns on the part of the authorities at the highest level and to explicitly recognize the legitimacy of the work of human rights defenders, including by making public declarations recognizing their contribution to the promotion of human rights;
- Reminding the authorities that human rights defenders have a right to carry out their activities without any unfair restrictions or fear of reprisals, as set out in the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders.
Venezuela: Investigate Monitoring of Rafael Uzcátegui and Carlos Correa (UA 123/15)
June 4, 2015
The private communications of two human rights defenders may be being monitored by the Venezuelan authorities. This appears to be an attempt to restrict their ability to freely carry out their legitimate human rights work. The two men, their colleagues and the people they represent might be at risk.
1) Please write immediately in Spanish or your own language:
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!