Benedito Sabão was discharged from a private medical clinic on 10 June after spending 21 days receiving medical care. However, he is concerned for his safety and is unable to leave Mozambique as people believed to be members of the secret service police confiscated his documents when they detained him on 10 May. He is unable to meet his daily living costs in Maputo and has had to rely on the support of some local organizations.
1) Please write immediately in Portuguese, English or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to return Benedito Sabão’s documents without further delay allowing him to exercise his right to freedom of movement, as guaranteed by article 12 of the ICCPR;
- Calling on them to end intimidation and harassment of Benedito Sabão because of his alleged political views;
- Calling on them to conduct an independent, thorough, impartial and effective investigation into the detention, allegations of ill-treatment and shooting of Benedito Sabão, and to bring those suspected to be responsible to justice.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!
- EITHER send a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "UA 126/16" in the subject line, and include in the body of the email the number of letters and/or emails you sent;
- OR fill out this short online form to let us know how you took action.