- To immediately drop the charge against Masanamuthu and Nagamanickam of being members of an unlawful organization;
- To ensure that the two men have regular access to their lawyers and family, and are protected from torture and other ill-treatment;
- To ensure that they are brought to trial within a reasonable time for any other charges they face, or are released pending trial, in accordance with international fair trial standards.
India: Drop Charges Against Masanamuthu and Nagamanickam (UA 150/15)
July 6, 2015
Two young men were arrested on 13 June in Tamil Nadu, India, after protesting the arrest of five people for offenses including allegedly belonging to a banned Maoist armed group. They are now being held under the same charge, which carries a possible sentence of life imprisonment. They were denied bail on 26 June and continue to be held in judicial custody.
1) Please write immediately in English or your own language calling on authorities in Tamil Nadu:
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click on the Word or PDF version below.
3) Please let us know if you took action so that we can track our impact!